Wednesday, August 3, 2016

What I learned using water mixable oils




This is how I do it.

First, I prefer using an acrylic gesso as a ground for water mixable oil paints. I feel that I get better adhesion this way. I also prefer to paint on masonite panels because of its rigidity. I also use stretched canvases at times, because some of my clients prefer them.

As far as brushes, I mostly use synthetic brushes while using sable brushes for the fine details.  
I start out using water to thin the oil paint for the background washes. Remember, just like using traditional oils, it should be applied fat over lean to prevent cracking. 

For glazes I use a water soluble linseed oil or walnut oil (which is a vegetable base) Using traditional oil mediums will make the paint sticky and therefore doesn’t flow as well.

Another thing I found with water mixable oils is that you don’t get the glossy appearance of traditional oil painting. Varnishing the finished painting will take care of that.

Now that you have a better understanding of the benefits of water mixable oils, give it a try. You’ll find out how much you like them. I find they are easy to use, less toxic fumes and much easier to clean up. All you need is soap and water. 

When dried and varnished, they look & feel just like a traditional oil painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment