Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Brushes November 16, 2012 & Gouache: To varnish or not to varnish - November 19, 2012

Brushes
November 16, 2012

As far as brushes are concerned any brush that is suitable for watercolor can be used with Gouache. Depending on the technique used and the finish required. Sable brushes including synthetic sable are ideal. They are excellent in holding a large amount of paint. They have ability to point and to spring back into shape. This allows the artist to work fast and with more accuracy.

Bristle brushes such as hogs can also be used if a more expressive brush stroke is desired.

Gouache: To varnish or not to varnish - November 19, 2012 As a personal choice, I spray my finished art with Krylon workable fixative. I apply several coats of spray varnish. I feel it brings out the original brilliance as it look when the paint is wet and gives it an even finish. I also use the workable fixative while painting if I need to isolate an area so I can paint over it without re-activating the previous coat of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment