Tuesday, January 20, 2015

My Palette Colors

Here's the colors I use while painting.

Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Orange, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Red Light, Venetian Red, Violet, Cobalt Blue, Cerulean Blue, Phthalo Blue, Phthalo Green, Sap Green, Burnt Umber, Paynes Gray. This is the order in which I place the colors on my palette.  (Notice there is no black on my palette.) It is better to mix your own black (chromatic black), it will be much richer looking.  Black from the tube is just too black & will muddy the other colors. A chromatic black is created by mixing dark versions of other colors, typically a red and green or blue and red. (I also use Dr. P.H. Martin bleed proof white for the highlight areas.
Keep a spray bottle filled with water to keep your gouache paints moist.  I keep a small wet sponge inside my gouache palette when I'm not working with it.  Change your water container often. You might want to try using two water containers. Clean water keeps you colors vibrant and not muddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment