Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Welcome, I put together this page so I can share information about my paintings. Including info on the type of paint I use. Some techniques that I have tried etc.
I also talk about framing, matting, how to set up a studio and other tidbits that intrigue me. I hope you enjoy my site as much as I've enjoyed making it.


What is Gouache?
Gouache (pronounced gwash) is an opaque, water-based paint that is sold in tubes or jars.  It is a  type of paint consisting of pigment suspended in water. Gouache differs from watercolor in that the particles are larger, the ratio of pigment to water is much higher, and an additional inert white pigment such as chalk or zinc white is also present.  As with watercolor, Gum Arabic is also present as a binding agent. I have used Reeves, DaVinci and Windsor & Newton and find that all work well for me. Gouache dries quickly to a smooth, matte finish, however dark colors will dry lighter than they appear when wet, and light colors will dry darker.  Although you can paint one color on top of another and cover it completely, do this with care because gouache can develop cracks if applied too thick. If you have paint remaining on your palette you keep it for you next painting session. You can revive it by adding water to it.  I paint on a 140 lb. Arches cold press watercolor paper that I stretch. The paint will scuff easily, be damaged by water marks or your finger prints.  I have recently started spraying my finished paintings with a matte fixative.
5 Reasons Why Gouache Is Better Than Other Paints:
• Because it is more thick and opaque it is perfect for laying large areas of flat color.
• It is good for creating paintings where rich, deep tones are required.
• Light colors can be painted over dark without any hint of the underlying color showing through.
• It can be thinned down with water to give a translucency with is comparable to pure watercolor and is used
   the same way.
• The variety of surfaces available to paint on increases dramatically when using gouache compared
   to watercolor.
Why I paint
I paint for many reasons, but mainly because it makes me feel good.

As a kid I would draw & paint for hours. Went to Art School for Graphic Design and ended up working in the printing field. Along the way I stopped painting. After about 30 years I started painting again.

I don't paint on a regular basis, but try to as much as possible. When too much time passes, I get the urge to create, it’s like an addiction and I need to paint to feel satisfied.



 



 June 5. 2012  This was a quick study of one the Rangers at Camp Horseshoe.
 Medium - Gouache
 5x7
 140# Strathmore Watercolor paper








    


July 21, 2012  II met this wonderful older woman who was full of fun & character. I asked if I could take her picture because I wanted to do a painting of her. Here is the result of my painting. It took me about 7 hours to complete. I look for subjects that have a lot of character whether they are portraits or landscapes.
Size - 12 3/4 x 8 3/4 - Medium is Gouache on 140# Arches Watercolor Paper  




How to stretch watercolor paper
November 15, 2012
Stretching watercolor paper keeps it from buckling while you are painting on it. It is not necessary for 300-pound paper, but lesser weights of paper will immediately start buckling as soon as you add a wash to them. 300 pound paper is very expensive, so many watercolor artists buy 140- pound paper and stretch it to a hard surface.


You need a hard backing surface to stretch the paper to. I use gatorboard. Gatorboard is basically a super-thick piece of foam board. It's lightweight, easy to staple (and remove staples from), and doesn't mind getting soaked, so it's perfect for this purpose. 


Brushes
November 16, 2012

As far as brushes are concerned any brush that is suitable for watercolor can be used with Gouache. Depending on the technique used and the finish required. Sable brushes including synthetic sable are ideal. They are excellent in holding a large amount of paint. They have ability to point and to spring back into shape. This allows the artist to work fast and with more accuracy.

Bristle brushes such as hogs can also be used if a more expressive brush stroke is desired.

Gouache: To varnish or not to varnish - November 19, 2012 As a personal choice, I spray my finished art with Krylon workable fixative. I apply several coats of spray varnish. I feel it brings out the original brilliance as it look when the paint is wet and gives it an even finish. I also use the workable fixative while painting if I need to isolate an area so I can paint over it without re-activating the previous coat of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment